Sunday, August 12, 2007

Kuch bhi nahi likh sakti....

This post is for all those who asked where d_grail had disappeared, if I have stopped writing or if my sense of humor has died. I have a block. Not a Lego block but a bloggers block.(pathetic attempt at humor, I know, I know) A classmate told me he was confused over 3 topics which to blog upon. Dil pe saanp rapatna took a whole new meaning.

Anyways since kuch bhi likh de yaar is the common refrain and to prevent the demise of this blog I have smartly (as always, applause) come with a review.

After ages (almost 2 months) and without a hutch offer I went to see a movie. Chak de India.Now I have seen quite a bit of “different” movies lately, but it has been some time when I have enjoyed a movie from beginning to end, laughing, applauding the characters.

There was no Amitabh Bachchan’s baritone, John “Abs”raham looks, no running around trees…to top it all it was a SRK movie, whose affiliation with Chopra khandaan has resulted in sappy outcomes at the best.

Loosely based on Mir Negi’s life, this would be SRK’s second best performance till date after Swades ka Mohan Bhargava, only because he slips into playing SRK in acouple of scenes. The girls are simply awesome. Whether is the hot headed sardarni, the jatni, the jharkhandis or the babe from Chandigarh. They slip into characters and make you want to root for their rag tag team. Go watch it and make it a hit.

I have always dealt with SRK movies with caution. DDLJ came when I was 12, it catered to all my school girl fantasies and I loved SRK. But then KKHH, K3G, KANK happened. Like their names, the movies were long winded, uninspiring, boringly sappy and mega hits. I soon crawled into the club “I avoid SRK movies esp if they have Yash associated with it”. Yes I belong to the club which pretends to have classy taste in cinema, dutifully watching the likes of Aapka Suroor for making fun purpose only. Yet few actors have taken the kind of risks with roles as SRK has or with the confidence SRK has. Whether it be at the beginning of his career or now. He is the only actor to steal Big B’s thunder, and that requires some taking. And to this day remains perhaps the only actor to switch from television success to movie stardom. No rumors of romps with heroines have touched him. If anything his claim of being the best has generated a storm. In a nation which doesn’t encourage either individualism or self esteem that was cardinal sin. And yet the man is Bollywood’s last superstar. I didn’t believe till I experienced the pin drop silence during the “sattar minute” speech.

There is moment in the movie where the girls attend a dinner in tri-coloured saris. As the hall erupted in applause, came the Australian babes in evening wear. I waited for even louder cheer, whistling or raunchy comments. It was a very vocal crowd I was watching with. None came. Today morning I was reading TOI which had an article about the CK-wearing, pasta-eating generation losing its Indianess. And yet I believe my generation is more Indian than any before it. We are the same stereotyped and fixed people our fathers were. The only difference, today we have choices they did not. I can only imagine with horror what it must have been to do your education aspiring for a sarkari job at the best. I can only imagine the long paperwork, the queues, the limits. I have the whole world waiting to embrace me. A sea of opportunities await me. I can test, I can experiment and I can choose. I am comfortable in a pair of trousers but I will not throw out my mothers sarees when I get them. No generation before me has been shaped by global event like I have been. So how can they judge? How can they compare? My generation has given a growth of 7-8%, it has the ability to challenge China, its moving ahead without the baggage of the past. All I can do is offer my condolences to the writers at part of being generation which was stifled and could not discover its potential.

Claiming to be the best is no longer a sin but a necessity.

8 Comments:

Blogger SG said...

Welcome back d_grailed!

And I agree .. we are more Indians than anyone else !

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah... Wah... Wah..... What a last para.....you wrote... Thumbs up to you...

Sunil

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kofpherhein said...

Is this the effect of seasonal patriotism that a lot of people suffer from...Dont get me wrong on this...but why is it that we need a movie or an occasion to have this feeling of being patriotic??!!
Ever pondered??and since you dont have enough topics to write on...this mite be some food for thought..Think about it!!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like this post.. good one !!

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A career in politics beckons.

L.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Independence day

-Hemanth :)

11:16 AM  
Blogger d_grail said...

to all
from now on i will reply 2 ur comments..lucky u :P

@saurabh
long time no c....wat u up2?

@bhai
thumbs up nahi diet coke

@chauhan,chirag chauhan
this is not eco paper

@sunita
is that u?

@L
where? uganda?

@hemanth
well...happy weekend!

@nambiar
that depends on thru whose eyes u are seeing...

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back d_grail! The last para has everything to earn you super stardom in blogger world! For your fans like me who visit your page everyday, this was a really refreshing one.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home