Sunday, January 13, 2008

Its hard to say good bye!

It begins when you hear your maami ki chachi ki beti ki best freind ki bua got into IIM-A and is now earning close to a crore a month in plum investment banking job in New York. So when you are done getting into the herd pick up bus of TCS/Infy/Wipro and are studying at any engineering college worth its Computer Science division you quickly enroll your self at the nearest CAT preparatory course. It will have a fancy name, mine was CATapult. You wont study till a month a before CAT. Then you would suddenly wake up to rank 1246847865 in one of the mock CATS, dust the covers of the preparatory material and start to ghot. You will dig up old contacts who are in IIMs or other self respecting 100 % placement on day 0 institute , join pagalguy/mbaforum and start filling endless forms. The D-Day will arrive, you would either score 99.99 with 99 in all sections, go to IIM A/B/C and live happily ever after or write a book of how it wasn't happily ever after and become rich either ways.
But then that isn't my story and this is my blog. So I scored 98.67 with a suicidal 86 in one of the sections. No IIM thought i deserved to be in it. Not even the new ones in MP and Kerala.
But 3 me-too's did. And I got into 2 of them. One of them a private college with great brand value, another a government college whose name I heard for the first time when I filled the form. Its website had this really oil&mining PSU type of feel and it was number three on my list.

I ended up joining the PSU type college. It was called NITIE. Most of my friends went "huh? what? where? you left MDI??? ohhk..doctor?"
A year and half ago I landed in Mumbai, and reached NITIE using two metaphors "L&T ke paas " or "IIT ke paas". We had been promised single occupancy but were soon saddled with a roomate each. Mine was this thin, short girl who had one travel bag. One. I could have whooped with joy. The cupboards were mine. (Later she would reveal she had 3 more coming to NITIE soon)

I had these visions of sleepless nights working through the midnight oil. Of grand strategy classes. I also had a desktop. One of the 5 people in my batch to have it.

3 weeks into the course, we were given access to ipmessenger, dbabble and DC++. Sleepless nights took on a different connotation all together. Certain gentlemen shared upto 1 Tb (yes 1 Tb) of material on DC++ with certain "only for boys" sections too. Of course my curiosity never got the better of me. Just like other girls.

Summer Placements came. After a fantastic GD-PI conversion ratio of 3/15 I landed into the GE Corp, GE Money to be more precise. I also wrote my first module exams after studying for 2 weeks. I had never felt so unprepared or unconfident before nay paper in my life. A year later I would realise that was the maximum I would study in any module. Last module I studied for 2 hours.

Summers meant running after 186 from NITIE gate, running towards the ladies compartment of Churchgate slow and dealing with telecallers all day. Sales wasn't tough I learnt. But you need patience. It was grassroot. There was no AC office, to sip coffee, and design on excel.

I came back to Prerana. Can you feel so much passion for something not living? Can the desire to make an event successful consume 10 individuals, each more than the other. Can you sleep at 4-5 am and be up at 8 next day with the same vigor. Day after day. In NITIE I was part of that madness. A madness called PMG. Once a PMG member always a PMG member! Yes, I was told this in the committee interview. I understand now. Yes I do.

Coming at a time of great personal turmoil, placements the million dollar sign dream with which we all enter a MBA institute were here.Package. Profile. Brand.
CV designing was a new time consuming art form. Attending a corporate lecture became one to one corporate interaction with CEO of leading investment bank for many. To remain on the right side of ethics while making your CV irresistible to the 5 minute glance of the HR was a tight rope.

There are people who say at NITIE you will have to compromise. You will have to take what you get. I have one word to tell them-"B$#@s!" If you have the patience, if you have the dare, if you wont compromise. You will get what you want. be it Sales and marketing in every leading FMCG (Leading hair oil FMCG HR please note:people do come to NITIE for S&M, most of FMCGs bigger than you do hire them from here.) , finance, there were fancy profiles like derivative structuring to which I could only say wow, since I couldn't make head or tail of what it entailed or the traditional strong points-SCM/IT.
After intense disappointments of initial 2 days. I did manage to get placed.
Standard Chartered gave me consumer banking. Johnson & Johnson gave me MD Sales and marketing. But there was one brand which simply put the competition out of the picture. It offered me an amazing flexibility, a handsome package, and a renowned management trainee program.
When deciding on whether to join MDI or NITIE I had asked one question to alumni at both places. "Does HLL come to campus?"

Yes am going to HLL now HUL. The BLT program promises a world of adventure for my wandering spirit.

One and half years into NITIE. I can say Thank you. For the best two years of my life. For friends and more than friends. For the lessons in the class room and outside.

PGDIM. 96 steps. TOPA. Freshers. Denovo. PMG. Ataria. Nescafe. PPO road. Poptates. HN. 303. PGP-5. Mess 3&4. Vodka with sprite. Prerana. 123. 321. PMG wing. GE Money. Charlie's Angels. DC++. Dbab. Ip. Huma Adlabs. Nirmal Lifestyle. 186. 25. Masala maggi. Acad section. Audi. Ethics. PPO. HUL.

I dont know if my maami ki chachi ki beti ki best freind ki bua felt what i feel today. Thank you NITIE.
Goodbye. Godbless.

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i m loving this..
first.. i m the first one to comment.. very well written dhivya.. nothing more nothing less.. u always bring a smile on m face when i read ur blogs (very few times a smirk!!)

second.. congratulations for HUL and wish u a gr8 future ahead..

and the final reason.. presently while i m writing this my most fav song is bein played "Bittersweet symphony".. if possible hear it..

may god bless u always..

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations..

( I forgot..which alphabet did i last sign off with ..., still)

Z.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats.. C u soon in Delhi sunil

12:20 PM  
Blogger Abhishek Kochar said...

All i can say is Wow!!

that wow is for three things

1. The way u write
2. The way you very very clearly expressed what u wanted to
3. For making me go back in the memory lane and remember all the days i spent in the lovely place you just described!!!

Also.. congrats for the great offer!!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Nikhil Kulkarni said...

Classic post ... and congrats for cracking HUL

Good to see some tareef of our beloved insti ... and it was great to have retraced my days there through your descrip.

Keep writing - would love to revisit your blog again!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations for HUL!
Personally, its almost as if you have given words to my two years in NITIE.. and I love the way u have done that. :-)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Wondering Wanderer said...

Congrats for cracking HUL !!

Your post really brought back loads of great memories about the wonderful times I spent in NITIE..

Loved your wirtting style too.. Keep blogging..

9:41 PM  
Blogger Coach Hemant Jain said...

An absolutely amazing post ... my stint at NITIE was during 2003-2005 ... almost 3 years have passed since we got placed but each and every word of your post evoked a thousand memories ...

It was a Nostalgic ride for us ...

Let me add something "You can take me out of NITIE, But you can't NITIE out of me" is something which will remain true for eternity !!

And yes ... Those two years at NITIE were some of the BEST days of my life !!

Congratulations and All the Best for HUL !

6:16 PM  
Blogger Anuj Bansal said...

Fantabulous blog !!

4:20 PM  
Blogger anN-series said...

madam....congratss once again...treat treat...:~)

5:31 PM  
Blogger VIZAG - Youth For Equality said...

very well written!!! can totally associate wit u.. out here at L!!!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Abhi said...

Congratulations .

Like you mama ki chacha ki beti ki whatever , I made it to IIM . But memories don't need an IIM tag to be sweet , and the future doesnt need an IIM tag to be bright , so you deserve to be happy .

All the best for HUL . I work for ITC , so I guess we are , as they say , professional rivals . :)

11:24 PM  
Blogger Kofpherhein said...

moti!!
showoff time?? is it??

1:42 AM  
Blogger atlee said...

Nice summary of life at NITIE.

Was planning to write something on this subject,but will take time to erase your post frm memory.
Warna same same lagega :)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

can you please give me insight of BLTP program. As in what kind of project did you get in various stint. will join soon
mail id - vivek1706@gmail.com
- Vivek

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Rahul Sharma said...

Hi...
Was juz delving into endless google searches about institute comparisons..(exactly same delimma of MDI vs NITIE...have both calls ) when i stumbled upon ur blog. I have zeroed in on NITE almost two days back. The info was really tough to get..like both insti students can put zingoists to shame...so difficult to get real picture.
One thing was clear dat NITIE is better for OPS.
N even though after countless feedbacks dat ops is d worst n blah blah...i choose to tread d path less followed...i choose to follow my heart...
A great post!!!

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://nydojehacu.servetown.com/ukyfake.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://orerybycu.digitalzones.com/ucacydi.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ocyhavumyq.the-best-free-web-hosting.com/cabybe.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://quzoviryti.wtcsites.com/yzarox.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I begin take up real income.
It gets down to choose a proper companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theblogmoney.com

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real money.
It's all about how to select a proper companion who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter sanchez[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]die wetter[b][/url]

10:09 PM  
Blogger Rajat said...

It will really help me out to join nitie over MDI.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home